Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary
St. John's parish has been blessed to have the witness of religious women in our community for over 60 years.
When the parish school was established in 1950, then-Cardinal O'Boyle asked the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary from Scranton, PA, to serve the people in this area through the new school. They accepted and on September 1, 1950, then-pastor Msgr. Joseph Kennedy and Mother M. Marcella, the Superior General of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Congregation, signed the official school contract. The school opened with 440 students for grades kindergarten through the 5th grade. Mother Mary Amata was the principal, and the faculty consisted of seven nuns and two lay teachers.
The Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary were founded by a young French Redemptorist, the Rev. Louis Florent Gillet in 1845 at Monroe, Michigan. At first they were called Sisters of Providence, but as devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary became widespread in this country, the new Sisters wanted to honor Our Lady under the title of her Immaculate Conception. They changed the name of the congregation to Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Their philosophy in teaching is three-fold: to teach the message of Jesus; to build community; and to serve. They strive to develop the educational skills and creativity of each child, thus leading each one to realize his or her God-given potential. Through the many opportunities for social interaction within the school and parish community, the Sisters further strive to build a conscious awareness of the dignity and value of each person.
Through the years, the Sisters--both as a community and as individuals--have been admired and appreciated by countless St. John's parishioners for their faithful service and care.
(Source: Saint John the Evangelist, The History of the Parish 1774-1984)
10201 Georgia Ave.
Silver Spring, MD 20902